Founded in 1887, The
Writer is one of
the nation’s oldest magazines about the craft of writing. As someone interested
in the world of books, authors and writing, you will find plenty of useful material in every issue. Stories about star writers such as Aaron Sorkin and Elizabeth
Strout, and craft stories written by leaders in the field such as Roy Peter
Clark are the heart and soul of our work. We also have an ear tuned to emerging
voices such as Taiye Selasi and Vaddey Ratner. Our how-to stories and profiles
are informative, instructive, motivational and necessary to writers of all
We encourage you to submit to the following contests in order to help hone your craft, gain inspiration and perhaps even win a prize. Please see each contest description for individual guidelines and deadlines. And visit The Writer for additional information and resources.
As the days grow darker, so do The Writer’s contests. Write a 2,000-word fictional short story using any nuance, definition, or understanding of the word “dark.”
Deadline: November 15th, 2016
Grand prize: $1,000 and publication in our magazine
Word count: 2,000 words or less
Other prizes: Our second-place winner will receive $500 and publication on our website, writermag.com; our third-place winner will receive $250 and publication on writermag.com as well.
Not the writing contest for you? Sign up for our newsletter to be the first to hear when we launch a new one.
• The submission deadline is midnight eastern time on November 15th, 2016.
• The entry fee is $25 (including processing fees). All entries MUST be submitted through Submittable to be considered. We cannot accept mailed or emailed submissions.
• We encourage you to submit multiple stories – for a discounted entry fee of $15. All entries must be submitted on the same transaction in order to get the discounted rate. The first submission will be $25 and each additional submission (up to 5 per transaction) will be $15.
• You may enter simultaneously submitted work.
• This is a prose fiction contest. Do not submit essays, poetry, or other works of nonfiction. Do not submit any work over 2000 words or it will be disqualified.
• Please remove your name, bio and any contact info from the file that you submit – including title page, header and footer.
• A blind reading of all entries will be conducted by the editorial staff of The Writer.
• Close friends and colleagues (current & former) of the The Writer staff and Madavor Media are not eligible to compete.
• All submissions must be submitted via our online submission form manager. We will not accept mail or email submissions.
• All submissions must be previously unpublished.
• Entry fees are non-refundable.
• International (non-US) writers are welcome to submit.
• Must be 18 years or older to enter.
To stay in touch with the writing world and to get inspiration delivered right to your inbox, sign up for our newsletter today.